Tuesday 11 November 2008

Questionmark

Hello!
Today I dipped into an e-moderating course that I am on and our task this week is to click onto a VLE tool called Questionmark Perception.

I have used Questionmark once before - back in 2003! I used it to test my students on correct Harvard Referencing - yes, I know... but bear with me!

At the time, I didn't really know what I was doing, but with the help of a friendly ICT chap, I managed to devise a multiple choice test. The students thought it was a breeze and they all got 100%!

It was only afterwards that I discovered the software told them if their answer was wrong and then allowed them to have another go - three times... and of course, there were only...ahem... three choices of answer for each question.

The joke was very much on me and having marked subsequent essays from these students over the following three years, their Harvard Referencing was not as good as their test had stated.

Therefore, I am choosing to focus on Questionmark during the e-moderating course so that I can get to grips with what it can do.

I teach media law and each week I have an in-class test (not assessed) to check how the students are getting on with their independent study tasks. I have a feeling that Questionmark could be my saviour and could do this for me, freeing up to 15 minutes of valuable seminar time to move onto to other topics.

I'll let you know how it goes, Claire

No comments: